On our way to and from the subway in New York Chinatown, we would always come across a seasoned veteran, clenching a machete-like blade and swinging vigorously at a defenseless young coconut. After taking an order, she would whip, whack, and wallop her coconut into pristine form and collect your money. It was not a successful mission to Chinatown without sipping on one of these punctured bad boys after a coma-inducing meal at Joe's Shanghai or Xi'an Famous Foods. There are no coconut specialists in San Francisco or Oakland Chinatown, so we decided to open one up ourselves.
- Place coconut on it's side.
- Slice off the top until husk is removed.
- Place coconut vertically.
- Angle knife at 45° angle and puncture the top of the coconut with the back of the knife.
- Once fully punctured, dig back edge of the knife into the opening.
- Lift the top flap of the coconut to open.
- Drink with a straw and scoop with a spoon to eat the meat.