When I think of soup for the soul, what comes to mind is my dad's lugaw. It's perfect to warm you up on those shivery cold nights and is the best cure for a stubborn sneezy cold. Lugaw, a tasteful porridge originating from the Philippines, is pretty simple. It's a stew of ingredients orchestrated together that creates a heartwarming harmony of flavors in your belly. Lots of tender, love, and care goes into this warm, hearty bowl of goodness. Right now, we're craving a spoonful of this heavenly porridge for this sunny, yet somewhat chilly San Francisco day.
- 1 tablespoon canola/ vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 cup wood ear mushrooms
- 1/4 cup of onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup sweet rice
- 12 cups water (6 cups for boil / 6 cups for simmer)
- 6 dried mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon mushroom seasoning
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 3 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 eggs (optional)
- Soak wood ear mushrooms in hot water for 5 minutes and chop when soft.
- In a pot add oil and a pinch of salt.
- Sauté garlic, ginger, and onions until the onions are translucent.
- Add sweet rice and jasmine rice to pot.
- Sauté rice in mixture for 1 min.
- Pour water in pot.
- Put salt and mushroom seasoning in the pot.
- Put on high heat until it boils.
- Put heat to low and let simmer for 30 min.
- During simmer, keep adding water for desired consistency.
- See sautéed mushroom instructions below.
- Scoop soup into a bowl and add shiitake mushroom to the top.
- Add minced cilantro, green onion, and lemon. (optional)
- Slice shiitake mushroom into small pieces and saving the stem.
- Shred shiitake mushroom stem with finger.
- Add mushroom pieces and shredded stem to a bowl.
- Drizzle sesame and olive oil onto mushroom.
- Add paprika and salt.
- With hands, massage all seasoning into the mushroom evenly.
- In a pan, coat with oil and sauté mushrooms on medium heat and set aside.